To Pause or to Rewind, that was the question last week as suggested by the 13 year-old. It was a question that challenged you to consider the pros and cons of altering time with either an almighty Pause button or an almighty Rewind button. Those who favored the Pause option gave these fine reasons for doing so:
* while watching T.V. on demand, you can run out and get a dish of ice cream
* a) I don’t believe in regrets or do-overs; everything serves its purpose as a learning experience; and b) I do like to have the opportunity to pause to contemplate the correct course of action, to weigh all the options
* Take a deep breath. Ask yourself “Is that really a good decision?”
* I don’t want to be responsible for making Michael J. Fox disappear.
* I think we should learn from the mistakes of the past.
* Cats once out of a bag are incredibly difficult to stuff back in said bag. So, pause, take a nap, eat something good, and then go about fixing what needs to be fixed. Plus, I think there is some Einsteinian theory that says we can only travel forward in time, not back…
* Maybe we need some mistakes to learn from. Otherwise we would be continually EDITING reality. We’d never PUBLISH…
As you can clearly see, those who commented employed a completely logical and wise set of reasons for choosing to take time to pause. Lessons would be learned, options would be weighed, cats would remain in bags, Michael J. Fox would not be at risk of suddenly disappearing, naps would be taken, and ice cream would be safely procured during T.V. watching. All important things.
And then there were the Rewinders, united under an equally compelling reason the Rewind button would be the preferred choice:
* Sometimes, it’s too dang hard to fix a mess. A do-over is much easier.
Hard to argue with that. Oh, the times a rewind button would have come in handy…
So what did I choose? Actually, this one was easy peasy for me. Knowing my tendency to over-think and analyze everything to death, my go-to button would have the word Pause etched on it. As much as I would love to rewind and do-over a dozen or so instances in my past (a VERY tempting prospect, I assure you), I would get so much more use out of the Pause button. To be able to reflect on a good course of action, or to really give my intuition a chance to speak up, or to actually take a moment to be present in the moment and really let ideas and feelings just be before having to act on them would be divine.
And now, for this week’s question:
Assuming you wake up with no memory of the night before, would you rather
discover a part of your body had been pierced
– OR –
discover you had a tattoo?
Which will it be, adventurous readers? Will you suddenly have a new excuse to buy some jewelry for your piercing? Or will you have a reason to buy that new outfit that shows off (or covers up, as the case may be) your new ink? Any true stories out there amongst kasbah readers that are similar to this week’s question? Sit, sip, and let’s dish. I always love hearing from you.